Sunday, June 26, 2011

Washing Day!

I have some alpaca (and wool) fleeces that need washing and carding ASAP, so today I am at the sink.

Suri fleece is super soft and silky,  and the fleece I have is dusty and has the usual VM.  I have experimented and combed a little of the fleece before I washed it and then washed an un-combed wodge.  I washed them side by side, and  you can see from the photos, that combing up a batch BEFORE you wash makes a HUGE difference in how clean it gets after two washes.  So, in my opinion, a quick comb, or even just opening up the fibre by hand, helps the dust and sand to drop in the washing stage and therefore gets you to the carding stage with a lovely sparkling fleece, rather than a grey, still grubby bit of fluff.  Takes a wee bit more effort, but worth it methinks!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo lucky you how lush ! I loved your pumpkin spin btw looked amazing so pretty - your a whiz on the spindle :)

    ReplyDelete