Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Atishoo! Dying silk hankies

I thought I would give silk hankie dyeing a bash.  I had watched Spinning Luxury Fibers by Judith Mackenzie, and was inspired.  So, I set to work on a small amount of silk using Landscape Dyes.  I should have photographed each step (next time!) but here are the final results.....my first batch...might try and spin with them tonight on a spindle.  A great little tutorial on Knitty about how to spindle spin them, and how to prepare them for spinning.  Due to the fact that the silk snags to every rough bit of skin, I'm going to scrub my hands with Crabtree & Evelyn Hand Scrub (it's fab stuff), then follow up with a dollop of their Hand Cream, to get my mitts as smooth as possible (smooth as silk, one might say!)


2 comments:

  1. Oh they look so pretty but they put my teeth on edge when I touch them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo so pretty ! I love silk cap-hankies they are so much fin to spin.

    I too have Luxury Fibers dvd and I love it ! I really like Judith Mackenzie's teaching style she has such a calm approach to to spinning that gets me in the zone whilst watching and spinning with her....lol

    I'll be looking forward to seeing how your cap spins up :)

    ReplyDelete